Monday, June 12, 2006

NYT: Was Earning that Harvard MBA worth it?

Since embarking on my EMBA effort friends and family have continuously sent me links and articles about just about anything related to the subject. The NY Times link above on "The Value of A Harvard MBA" is no exception. Overall, the aritcle is a rather encouraging account about the life and times of several 1996 HBS graduates. The story basically goes to say that, for most, the MBA experience opens doors to opportunities that might otherwise not have been. The bumps and bruises of any career are still there its just that the MBA provides a safety net for the ride. I think the article also reinforces the "commaradarie" aspects of the MBA experience which I've heard universally from students and alumni from all of the top programs.

Harvard holds a special place in my heart not only because I think its one of the coolest paces on earth, but also because I was born across the street at Mt Auburn hospital. My friend Derek, who sent me this link, relentlessly encuraged me to apply to HBS. I seriously thought about it but didn't because I really wanted to an Executive format program. The reputation of the GEMBA and CCMBA programs, my familiarity with the school, and my love of NC are what eventually led me to Duke.

I'm really encouraged by articles like this one and the corroboration I hear from Duke alumni. I haven't been so excited about anything professionally in a very long time and I can't wait to start CCMBA. I know I'll leave with a great education. I really hope I leave with some terriffic career opportunities and a good job. [I had better or I'll end up 3rd shift at the drive-thru trying to pay this off!] But in the end, if I get some great memories and lasting friendships I'll consider it a resounding success. Here's to the time ahead at Fuqua CCMBA '08!

PS: One of my early blog posts expressed my frustration with my PC experience. Well, I've finally taken the plunge. This post was written on my new Mac. Think different!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home